Teaching Our Children to have a Giving #DisneySide
It is extremely important that our children learn to not simply receive, but to give. While we’re celebrating our daughter’s 6th Birthday at our #DisneySide Celebration, we’ve made it known that we do not want guests bringing her Birthday gifts. In lieu of gifts, we’re asking for optional item donations for a Honduras Missions team to hand out to the poverty-stricken citizens of Honduras in early March.
To give you an idea just what “poverty-stricken” means in this case… take a look at the Tegucigalpa city dump, where many adults and children live and work in the garbage. Below you’ll see a picture of a little girl (barefoot) working in the dump. It’s hard to see, but there are houses built out of garbage within the dump – just heartbreaking to know that living conditions like this really do exist.
The Missions Team we are supporting at our #DisneySide Celebration will be visiting this dump among other needy areas of Honduras, and we’d like to support them by donating the following suggested items:
- Small-sized hygiene products (soap, shampoo, lotion, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash)
- Toothbrushes, Combs, Bandaids
- Small Toys (stuffed animals, small cars, bubbles, small balls)
- School Supplies
- Baby Clothes (onesies, socks, booties, soft toys, hats, sun clothes, receiving blankets)
- Kid-sized crocs or flip-flops
- Over-the-counter Medications (Tylenol, Advil, Naproxen, Claritin, Zyrtec, Triple Antibiotic Ointment)
- Zip Lock Baggies (Quarter, Gallon, Sandwich and snack size)
Christian book author, Angela D. Meyer, is allowing us to raffle off an autographed copy of Where Hope Starts. While it is not Disney-themed, it is certainly an attention-grabbing book (one that I could NOT put down!!) We interviewed Angela and reviewed her book back in September, and we’re so happy she’s giving us another copy of Where Hope Starts for this fun event! We understand that a few guests attending our DisneySide Celebration may not be huge Disney fans (and that’s okay!), therefore this book may be a more appealing raffle prize.