Updated March 2015. Characaterpalooza currently meets near the exit of Tower or Terror! Historically, Characterpalooza took place inside the Magic of Disney Animation building. When it returned from it’s seasonal hiatus in March ’13, sets began occurring near Echo Lake and on the Streets of America. Then (2014) it moved to just New York Street (Streets of America.) NOW – it meets near the exit of Tower of Terror! Information for times and locations have been updated below.
Characterpalooza occurs almost daily at Disney’s Hollywood Studio’s, but have you ever heard of it? I’ll be honest, I hadn’t heard of it until just a few months ago. It is an unadvertised Character meet and greet session (never shown on a Times Guide schedule) that takes place outside by the gift shop/exit of Tower or Terror. For 1 or 2 half hour sessions in the evening, many characters (including rare ones) make an appearance!
It’s always a SURPRISE as to which Characters will appear for Characterpalooza, which is where the “palooza” comes from. The most common Characters to appear are Stitch, Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Snow White, Pinocchio, Gepetto, and the Queen of Hearts; but many times a more “rare” character or two get thrown into the mix. (Not even Guest Services can tell you “who” is going to make an appearance at Characterpalooza!)
The timing and number of Characters to make an appearance depends on the following show times for Fantasmic that evening:
- If Fantasmic isn’t scheduled, Characterpalooza will NOT occur.
- Characterpalooza will also not occur on Star Wars weekends.
- If one Fantasmic show is scheduled, Characterpalooza will typically occur twice in the late afternoon.
- If two Fantasmic shows are scheduled, Characterpalooza will occur just once, usually around 5:40 p.m., but always check out Kenny the Pirate for the updated schedule!
- Per Kenny the Pirate’s calendars, for the months of March and April (2015), Characterpalooza occurs at the following times:
- During the entire month of March, Characterpalooza will occur only at 5:30 p.m. daily.
- During the month of April, Characterpalooza will occur daily at 5:40 p.m.
- On these dates, two showings of Characterpalooza will occur at 4:40 and 5:40 p.m.: April 12, 14-17, 19, 21-24, 27-30th.
- To see times for the remainder of 2015, visit Kenny the Pirate’s 2015 Characterpalooza Schedule page. Scroll down and click on the month of your visit, then scroll down on that month’s page and click on the week of your visit. Kenny’s crowd calendar will show you all Characterpalooza times for that week as well as other scheduled events & shows.
The pictures below are from a Characterpalooza event from May 2012 (when it occurred in the Animation Building.) Jafar, Rafiki, Mary Poppins with 2 Penguins, and Chip & Dale greeted everyone during the first set. The 2nd set of Characters consisted of: Jasmine and Genie, Pinocchio and Gepetto, the Wicked Queen (from Snow White), and Meeko. Two nights later many of the same came out, but some different ones that we saw were: Pocahontas with Meeko, Captain Hook with Mr. Smee, Mulan and Goofy. Hitting the outdoor Characterpalooza in 2013 – we met Pocahontas & Meeko, Belle, Max, Pinocchio and others. This is a great opportunity to meet a bunch of Characters that are relatively rare, and with short waits!
HINT: Be sure to have an Autograph Book with you to experience some extra fun and make more memories! Here’s our Favorite Autograph Book idea.
Our biggest HINT yet (another best-kept secret): Have you heard of Disney’s Youth Education Series? Just by enrolling our kids in one 3-hour in-park educational class facilitated by Disney, our family of 4 saved $710 on our admission tickets! You’re welcome to join us at Walt Disney World on Sept. 8 or 9th (2015) and receive 40% off admission tickets for your family too! Read all about it here: https://www.wdwhints.com/y-e-s-trip/