I love planning trips to Disney World. My husband and I (somewhat obsessively) look at every hotel on property to choose the best fit for our family and then map out every day of our trip. I also start my packing list as soon as we start planning. Any time I think of something to bring, I add it to the list. Then when it’s actually time to pack, I don’t need to worry about forgetting anything.
I’ve found some great packing lists for Disney vacations online, and I’ve also thought of some unique items to bring during my time planning. Here are 10 things to bring to Disney that you might not have thought of, but that you’ll love having!
1. Glow sticks – I’ve found glow sticks and glow wands helpful on many occasions at Walt Disney World. I handed them over to my toddler when he got scared in the Haunted Mansion and he spent the rest of the ride happily playing with his new toy. They’re also great in the evenings when kids are getting tired and need something to help perk them up a bit. Granted, you can buy glow items in the parks, but I’d rather get them in the dollar section at my local superstore.
2. Giant lollipops – See my note above! Why spend a fortune on a lollipop in the park when you can easily bring them from home and pull them out when a parade starts or you want to surprise your child with a sweet?
4. Night Lights – If you’re traveling with kids who are used to a night light in their room, you most likely won’t find one in your room at Disney World. We always bring one or two with us to make them feel more at home.
5. Zip Lock Bags – Bring lots of sizes! You’ll use them for unfinished snacks, to hold wet clothes or to carry sunscreen bottles to the parks.
6. Plush Characters – You’ve got a plush Mickey Mouse at home, right? Well, they sell thousands of cute Mickeys all over the "World." I find that if we don’t bring a Mickey with us, then we end up with 1 or 2 new ones before heading home. So, Mickey comes with us to Disney! The same goes for Mickey ears - don’t get news ones every trip! Bring them from home on repeat visits.
7. Art Supplies – There is, believe it or not, down time at Disney World - In the car…on a plane…at a restaurant. It can’t hurt to bring something along to entertain the kids during these times. I especially love sticker books since crayons can melt in the Florida heat!
8. Travel Size Hand Wipes – Go to the travel section at your local drug store and get a few packs of the travel size wipes. You won’t regret it. We use them before snacks, after snacks, after playing on playgrounds… you name it!
9. Autograph Books – Picture this... it’s your first day in the parks. You walk in and see Pinocchio! But, you don't have an autograph book!! Run! Go buy one before he’s gone. But, you know he’ll be gone... OK, it’s probably unlikely that this will happen, but you will probably want an autograph book shortly after you arrive. I pre-order them from the Disney Store. It’s just one less thing to worry about after we arrive. Plus, we’ve told our kids about trips by handing them new books, which is a lot of fun.
10. Mini Fan – It is HOT in Florida! Before our last trip, I stopped at a drug store and got mini hand held fans for about $1 each. They fit in my backpack and we all loved having them during the trip.
I hope you find these hints helpful on your next Disney trip. What do you bring with you to Disney that makes your vacation easier and a bit more magical?